Copyright 2015

Copyright 2015 All content and artwork on this site is protected by copyright any use in any manner without permission from Tina Corbett is prohibited.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Paynes Prairie, Gainesville Florida






Sorry I haven't posted this sooner.

My husband and I spent Memorial Day checking out a local site. I had often heard of many fellow artist's speak of Paynes Prairie and saw their beautiful paintings of the many animals and plants that reside there. I have been wanting to go there since we moved here. We found the trail off of St. Rd. 441 just north of Micanopy. The sign said it was 2 1/2 miles long and that the prairie is 170 acres. I knew you could see wild horses and buffalo I just never knew how really "free" they were. It was a little intimidating. They just walk where you walk.

Jay and I made it through the horses to the look out tower. You can see the massive prairie spread out on all sides, it is lovely. Just as we got up there I said "I wish I could see Buffalo. " Out of the bushes come two huge guys. They looked so hairy and hot! Quite amazing. Then it was time to leave, which meant we had to walk from whence we came, but there were those buffalo. I asked Jay, "Are buffalo dangerous?" I had no clue and knew nothing about them except that the Indians once depended on them and they lived out west. Jay decided to start walking back and I said "what happens if something happens to you", he just said "use you cell to call for help." Great!
After I saw that they moved into the bushes when he got close and safely walked past I followed. Though I did see them eyeballing me through the bushes. By then I was hot, starving and forgot water so I was barely able to trot the 1 1/2 miles back to the car. It was a very cool experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment