Copyright 2015

Copyright 2015 All content and artwork on this site is protected by copyright any use in any manner without permission from Tina Corbett is prohibited.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Art in Public Places

This year I have only done one Art Festival. They are great fun and exciting but a lot of work and demand an immense amount of preparation. Instead I consider this my year to educate my self artistically and to improve my craft. I have been participating in an Art Inspire Marketing Think Tank with Linda Blondeheim, http://www.lindablondheim.com/ for marketing, reading several library books about the Masters, such as Renoir and Degas, and today I started an art workshop for Portraits with Melanie Peter in Gainesville http://www.pineywoodsstudio.com/. The workshop is Building a Better Portrait and runs until Sept. 19, my daughter, Heather's birthday. I really enjoyed my first lesson which was getting back to basic drawing, which I need to discipline myself to do more often. Each lesson will build our skills along with teaching anatomy, which after "Girl in a Pink Dress" I realize I need desperately. I struggled so much with that pic that it inspired me to study human figures more intensely.



I did hang "Girl in a Pink Dress" at the exhibition by my club, Gainesville Fine Arts Association http://gainesvillefineart.com/ at the beautiful Thomas Center in the Duckpond Historic District in Gainesville for a few weeks. I went to visit it last week and took this pic I think it fits in that house. The house if fabulous. This is an description of the house from Gainseville Cultural Affairs website

http://www.gvlculturalaffairs.org/website/facilities/facilities.html



"The Thomas Center considered Gainesville's cultural center, is housed in a beautifully restored Mediterranean Revival-style hotel. The Thomas Center is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and contains art galleries, 1920's period rooms, local history exhibits, performance space, banquet rooms, and meeting rooms. The Thomas Center is surrounded by the lovely Thomas Center Gardens and the Grace and Sidney Knight Children's Theatre. The center is the site of a variety of art exhibits and musical programs. The Thomas Center is located at 302 NE 6th Ave."



I also delivered a commissioned landscape to my friend Ava's friend, Myrtle. I called this one "The Homestead." It has a great story. Meeting Myrtle was a blessing, what a sweet woman. She is over 90 years old and smart as a whip. She saved her money to pay me to paint this commission as a birthday gift to her daughter. She was so cute. It was a pleasure and I enjoyed painting it for her. I especially enjoyed sitting and talking with her when I delivered it. She told me the story behind the house where her husband grew up.





It is located near Bushnell, Florida, built by her husband's father. His mother was pregnant with Myrtle's husband and told her husband to hurry up and finish this house. She said she would not give birth to their baby until the house was finished. On the very day they moved into the house she gave birth to her son inside the house. I thought it was a pretty cool story.



If you have a story to tell or just a family photo, a fun place or memory or just a photo you love, why not order a custom painting or Pet Portrait for a loved one for the holidays. They will be here before you know it. You can have it taken care of and paid for before the Holidays get here. I offer a convenient layaway plan and Visa and Mastercard. All my paints and canvases are quality products and the paintings will last more than your lifetime, to be handed down to the next generation. Preserving your memory or loved one. Email me or call me and we can talk! Remember, also that I will give 10% off to any blog followers. It is free to sign up!



I talk with you soon, next entry I will tell you about my great weekend with my husband, Jay, sons, Dillon and Stephen, my daughter Heather and son-in-law Scott, and our tubing adventure on the Santa Fe River. I also finished my pic "On The Road Home"

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Patricia

    http://largepet.info

    ReplyDelete