Copyright 2015

Copyright 2015 All content and artwork on this site is protected by copyright any use in any manner without permission from Tina Corbett is prohibited.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Vacation is over with lots to share


This my first blog entry in quite sometime and I apologize for the long absence. I have been on vacation for two weeks now and it has been great. I love going places, painting when I want and visiting with friends and family. Working for the US Postal Service has served it's time and after 30 years of service this Nov., I am tired and bored with it. I retire in 4 years and can not wait. The first week we spent in New Jersey and New York. My husband Jay's first trip to NY, he has resisted this visit for over 25 years that I have known him. It rained the entire time as you can see by my dark pics. I am excited because I managed to get several great shots for potential painting material. The above pic is one taken of West Point Military Academy overlooking the Hudson River. It is a spectacular spot where George Washington halted the British from taking over the river and controlling the Revolutionary War. Just to the right of this opening he and his men managed to string a huge chain across the river and stopped the British Ships! I would have to work on the lighting of this pic when it becomes a painting because of the gloomy weather.
Another great spot is this historic church and graveyard that sits miraculously across the street from Ground Zero where the Twin Towers used to be. Construction is now taking place on that hallowed ground and this church was not supposed to survive the destruction but it did. Inside you see pics and items related to the people who escaped and sought haven in God' s house. It gives you chills and you cannot help feeling intense emotion as you walk there.
We also toured the Fire Museum. I found was great art there of the history of fire fighting in NYC and a room just dedicated to 911 and all the fallen heroes. It was very moving. The last time I was in NYC was in July, 2001. Two months before the disaster and a block away from the Twin Towers. So it was emotional to say the least.
The third pic I thought would make a great painting is my favorite. One of the most picturesque places on earth, even though it is man made, it is a master piece. Central Park. The bridges and walk ways are lovely even in the rain. I am really proud of this shot that I took with Dillon's tiny Canon, my camera is being repaired. Check back in the future for the paintings that will evolve from these pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment